Friday 16 January 2015

The Gauntlet


 
Our lunch today. It was a pudla (yes, that one), with greens, veggie sausages and avocado. Mine had my last couple slices of Violife and some Tapatio, hers came with a side of sweet corn because it's a vegetable she will always eat. I realise that it's January, and so that corn must have travelled a long way to get to us here in the Northern Hemisphere, but you guys, I have to get some veggies in that kid. Don't tell Al Gore.

In other news, I've enrolled in a photography course. You see, I quit my job after my daughter was born. It was a cool job. I loved it, and I was good at it. It was the kind of job that hundreds of people want (or think they want), and I'd worked hard to get there. But I just didn't see how I could make the hours work. In fact, I suddenly realised that all the parents I knew in that field had a house-husband or wife. When I quit, I said to myself, I'd love to be self-employed by the time I'm 40. 10 years. 10 years to either take a sidestep in my old field, or find something new. I had an idea as to how I could make that happen in a job similar to my old one, but it would probably involve long, inflexible hours and low pay, which I might be able to do in a few years, but not right now. In the blink of an eye, one year has already passed. So in the interest of making the most of the time I have, I'm a student again. If nothing comes of it, I will still improve my personal photography and hopefully take some great snaps of my family. I hope to improve this blog, which, I won't lie, I wouldn't mind monetising. And if things really go well, maybe some freelance work will come my way. I really, really wouldn't mind that. Self-employed by 40. 9 years now. Gauntlet laid down.

2 comments: