Tuesday 13 January 2015

Bread and More Bread

But first, a little hat modelling:
 

I got a Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas - extravagant, I know, but I've wanted one for ages. I used to say that I was like Wayne, you know, with the guitar? Oh yes, it will be mine. And now I'm like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty - the mixer I've always wanted and now I have it, I rule! Enough with the 90's film trivia? So far, it is the difference between making bread twice a year, and twice a week. It's the difference between thinking about making seitan, and making seitan. It's mashed potatoes on a weeknight. It's also deep teal and deeply sexy:



This is actually my first plain white loaf - I tend to use whole-grain flours, but I wanted to try my hand at the fluffy stuff. I also want to make Violife grilled cheese sandwiches, and for authenticity you need white bread. 



Someone trying to sneak a peek (yes, there's always a baby on my hip while I do this stuff):



I almost forgot! On Sunday I went with some of my in-laws to the most fabulous Persian store and vegetarian cafe in Peckham, called Persepolis. The owner (and cookbook writer) makes all the food in the tiniest little kitchen, and it's wonderful. Vegan options are clearly (proudly!) marked - I had Vegan Moussaka. In the shop I bought some tahini and some Turkish delight for my husband (which is vegan, made traditionally. Bears no resemblance to the Cadbury's junk), and my mother-in-law got some barberries and giant flat breads. This was very restrained of us, we could have bought up the whole shop!



Definitely worth a visit if you're in London!


No comments:

Post a Comment