Friday 20 February 2015

Basic Spelt Waffles

 
We have waffles fairly frequently - I'd say I make a batch once a week, which can also give us leftovers to freeze if it's a weekday. Thought it only fair to post my basic, basic, basic spelt waffle recipe, although I can't take full credit for it. The original proportions were from Vegan Brunch, just stripped down to make it weaning-baby-friendly. F. loves them - lately she's been reverently whispering 'bwead', and even attempting to say blueberry, but it comes out 'boobooboo'. At which point I die. Without further ado:
 
2 cups of non-dairy milk, in our house usually hemp or soy
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons of neutral cooking oil, like canola
1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
2 cups spelt flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Spray oil for the waffle iron
 
Mix up the wet ingredients, mix up the dry ingredients, mix 'em together. Use a light touch with the batter, so it doesn't get tough. I find spelt flour can vary in texture quite a bit - if it's too thick, add another tablespoon of milk. It shouldn't be as thick as muffin batter, but slightly thicker than pancakes. Cook as per your waffle iron, generously using the spray oil between batches.
 
You could use some proportion of white flour if these are too whole-grainy, but I admit I like them that way. The babe usually has hers with nut butter and fruit, and I have maple syrup!
 
Top tips:
 
Let your waffle iron pre-heat properly. This only makes, like, 8 waffles in my Cuisinart. You can't afford for 2 of them to be duds.
 
While the iron pre-heats, let the batter rest for a few minutes. It's better behaved that way.
 
Don't overfill the iron. I'd rather have cute frayed edges than messy, overflowing, burning awfulness. Been there.
 
In the event of a waffle iron disaster, they make pretty decent pancakes with a little more milk. Again, it's happened to the best of us...
 
 
That's it! Embarrassing basic, but healthy enough to be in our regular rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment