Wednesday 4 March 2015

Favourite Books at 16 Months

 
My kid is OBSESSED with books. It's lovely, but sometimes I start to think that I can't take another reading of Toddle Waddle without actually running mad. Our current favourites:


I Want My Hat Back - Legitimately hilarious, dark humour, animals, beautiful illustration, goofy repetition. I love it, she loves it. Um, there's kind-of a murder in it, but still really charming.
 
Orange, Pear, Apple, Bear - Just the same four words, in a different order each time. Utterly brilliant, and with the exception of orange, she can 'read' it herself. So simple, so genius.
 


Each Peach Pear Plum - A British classic for a reason, really fun and she loves to find various things (ok, mainly birds) in the illustrations. Have read it a million times, but still not tired of it.

Gossie and Friends - These 4 little books are repetitive and deceptively simple, but she asks for them again and again. My husband and I can practically recite them, but still, I don't mind reading it over and over - which is the true test of a classic.

Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes - Diversity! Babies! Kisses! So sweet. One of my personal favourites - I love for this to be the last one before bed.

Fox in Socks - This was one of my favourites when I was little, and so I'm pretty good at the tongue twisters. If the whole family is reading, hilarity ensues.

Where the Wild Things Are - Another undeniable classic. So beautiful. Also, a little scary - but I think that's ok sometimes.

Peck, Peck, Peck - Her favourite for a LONG time. She asks for it by name. Funny, fun to read, full of holes (and birds) and about a daddy. LOVE. We keep looking for other books by Lucy Cousins, but haven't bought any yet.

 
The Snail and the Whale - I'm not always the biggest Julia Donaldson fan (does she have a monopoly in this country, or what?), but this is wonderful. The verse trips along beautifully, making it fun to read aloud, and it's about bravery and adventure! I count bravery among the highest virtues. It's a favourite of all of us. I like the poem better than the illustrations, though.
 
Where's Spot? - Another classic for a reason. Sturdy flaps, and she loves to go 'Noooooo' as she lifts them up, basically reading it to herself. When I find her reading alone, it's usually Spot.
 
Honourable Mention:
 
Sparky - About a girl and her pet sloth. I love it, F. loves it, my husband finds it boring and tedious. Not written in verse, so maybe that's why? Beautiful illustrations - if they illustrated Snail and the Whale you'd have something really special.
 
Where the Sidewalk Ends - I love to read poetry, for myself and for her. When she was smaller, she absolutely loved listening to it, but right now I think she enjoys more colourful illustrations. This will come back into favour again though, I'm sure. British people seem to be less familiar with Shel Silverstein, and often compare his poems to Spike Milligan.
 
Winnie-the-Pooh, Complete Collection - Again, one of my favourites when she was really small, but doesn't hold her attention right now. We'll pick it up again later on. I especially love the poems.
 
The Day the Crayons Quit - I love it, but I don't think she quite gets it yet. The humour is as sophisticated as the drawing are naive - really fun. Later on.
 
Toddle Waddle/Goat Goes to Playgroup/Wriggle and Roar - The unholy trinity of Julia Donaldson books that I cannot stand, yet F. absolutely LOVES. I actually hide them sometimes when I can't take it anymore, but there is no denying that they are a hit. 
 
What are your toddlers reading? Old classics, or new ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment