Tuesday 12 April 2016

Rye/Chai Aquafaba Waffles

Remember when I was all in a tizzy about vegan meringue? Well, I've been experimenting with the magic ingredient, Aquafaba, in something we actually eat on the reg: whole-grain waffles. You know I love to make waffles; they're treaty and fun, freeze really well, and if I use good flour, pretty healthy too. But whole-grain flours can be a little dense, a little heath-food-y - I'm finding that aquafaba makes them noticeably lighter and fluffier. Result! So here's my first contribution to the Aquafaba recipe cannon, and there will definitely be more where this came from (watch out Buckwheat, I'm coming for you). These ones are easy to make, aromatic and eminently brunch-worthy, with no refined sugar. Yum:

Rye/Chai Aquafaba Waffles

Wet Mix:
2 cups oat milk (or your favourite non-dairy milk)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons neutral cooking oil
2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
3 tablespoons (unwhipped) aquafaba
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dry Mix:
1 1/4 cup whole-grain rye flour
1 cup white flour (I'm using white spelt at the moment but regular white wheat flour is fine, I just like variety)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chai spice blend

+ spray oil for the waffle iron

In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until the brown rice syrup is dissolved and the mixture is lightly foamy. Add the dry ingredients, and there's your batter! Cook as per your waffle maker - I get 8 waffles in my Cuisinart. 

Notes and Tips:
*I've used American cups here. I just find that first thing in the morning, it feels easier. Also, I originally learned how to make waffles from Isa, who uses cups. I know, I'm inconsistent...
*Flours seem to vary immensely (one of the problems with cups), so do bear in mind that this batter will thicken up the longer it sits. If it's getting too thick, add a little more oat milk teaspoon at a time. 
*My chai spice blend contains cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, clove, ginger and black pepper. If you can't find one, and you're in the US, pumpkin pie spice would be a serviceable alternative. 
*What can I say, I actually like them to look a little rustic, so I just let them spread out on their own in the iron. Which is really well pre-heated and sprayed copiously with oil, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment